I don’t know how many people realize that today is “give thanks to someone you love day” in blog land. It’s a chance to write a post about someone who has had a positive impact on your life…… so I am going to write about my mom.
Mom….. what you have given me has made me the person I am today. When I do well, I can appreciate all that you gave me when I was a child and when I screw up…. I can hope to do better next time and try to make you proud.
I actually want to keep this short…. but I have a few specifics I would like to mention….in list form… the many gifts you have shared with me…..
- you taught me how to sew a nine patch block.
- you gave me (and my brother and sister) access to needles and thread, exacto knives, microscopes, flammable liquids,axes, hammers ,tadpoles,carving sets, lincoln logs, tinkertoys and barbie dolls.
drugaccompanied us kids to any free musical event in the greater Anchorage area.
- You showed me that moms can and should chop wood, ride motorcycles, sew clothes for their kids and cook dinner over the fire place.
- You gave me (and my sister) hard cover copies of one of my favorite books (as of yet not fully read) WOMEN WHO RUN WITH THE WOLVES. I turn to this book often for comfort and inspiration. How did you know that it was going to be such an inspirational book for me?
- You showed us all how to be green way way way before green was even a “thing”. You taught us to love and respect mother earth just because it’s the right thing to do.
- And most importantly of all, you gave me the strength to be me. To find my own happiness and to live my own adventures. You gave me independence and support. Roots and wings.
Thank you mom.